Re: [Harp-L] Reed "Profile"

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe and Cass Leone" <leone@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Robert Coble" <robertpcoble@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Reed "Profile"

On Jun 16, 2009, at 10:34 AM, Robert Coble wrote:

Why a 'few'guys wrote the books is beyond me as it has been my
experience that most of the old masters died and took their knowledge
with them. The first book I read was by the great Blackie (Alan
Schackner). I found t to be a great book, but it was geared to the
new player and unfortunately, I was already set in my ways and it
didn't show me anything I didn't already know. The second book, which
was loaned to me by a lady friend of my wife's, was by the great
Tommy Morgan. IT, also, was old news.

Schackner, Tate, McKenzie, The Buckeye Club, and Gardner all wrote on the subject of harmonica maintenance, repair, and a little on customization. The recent questions were about reed design. AFAIK there is no book on that. I believe that the old methods were indeed empirical. However some modern manufacturers such as Suzuki probably use FEA.

The springiest material I have found are contact points from onside
electrical relay switches. They have enough alloy in them to be quite
springy. Springy is what you want. Springy is what you need. Common
brass is lousy to work with.

Yes, a good spring material is a good reed material. Beryllium copper is often used in relays because of its springiness and also its high electrical conductivity. Beryllium copper makes excellent harmonica reeds. It is more brittle than brass and bronze so great care must be taken when gapping to avoid breaking it.

An easy source of material for reeds is .012" cold rolled brass or SS shim stock (available from McMaster Carr.) Making reeds is a real challenge because of the close tolerances required. You may get the pitch right but make it too stiff or limber and so not properly responsive.

I'd like to be able to purchase individual reeds of a particular material from someone else, but no one seems to be in that market at the present time. I'd love to do it as a charitable venture to the harmonica world, but alas, Uncle Sam seems to have the exclusive rights to creating money whenever desired.

Even for the do-it-yourself technician, making harmonica reeds to order for material, pitch, and harp takes specialized machinery. Making them out of razor blades is a Soe-Joe skill not easily duplicated.

Vern