[Harp-L] Subject: New to list Harp Player: Bonny B. (Brown) Male Cambodian/Swiss player

I came across this interesting young harp player: Bonny B.

Thought 'he' was supposed to be a 'she' because of the name (hey, I'm
Scottish) :)

This is a VERY NICE rendition of Bob Marley's:

No Woman No Cry

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsbA7S0gvtI_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsbA7S0gvtI)

Turns out (from my limited ability to translate from the French) - his
family is Cambodian - escaped from the Pol Pot regime to Switzerland - where he
 taught himself harmonica, being especially attracted to American Blues and
Soul  music as he grew up:

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR3TP3KTOzM_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR3TP3KTOzM)

perhaps someone else could add to/correct my poor french?

..this following video proves that one doesn't have to be born  here in
order to play/sing the Blues:

I'm Just Your Fool

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp6Txx6QxIE_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp6Txx6QxIE)

Mannish Boy

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeEjtdrK8FE_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeEjtdrK8FE)

Georgia

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbzDNC8-K_8_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbzDNC8-K_8)

This one is interesting:  The Thrill is Gone:

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVVMIsJackI_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVVMIsJackI)

I then did a bit more of a search.  Many videos. He's  self-taught and has
been touring and gigging.  A lot. Seems he also holds a  recent Guinness
record for 24 hours playing harp...uh oh, does that illegitimize  him here? .

There's a clip of his band playing in a bar in Switzerland where he uses a
megaphone to give him an extra 'boost' of sound when he needs it without
blaring  over the entire bar....very cool.

 Many of the videos are from the Ecole Suisse. He seems to be  representing
Hohner, specifically Marine Bands, his harp of choice. My only  complaint
is that most of his videos cut off abruptly, far too soon.

Elizabeth

fingertips.