[Harp-L] Re: Reed Profile - More questions

Crazy Bob (and he must be fairly deranged to ask this kind of stuff) wrote:

<From an industrial point of view, I find it hard to imagine that two additional milling steps would be applied to individual reeds. Given the tiny size of the individual reeds, I would think it would be cost-prohibitive to manipulate each reed so that it could be specifically milled.>

Indeed it would

<(1) Are specific reed profiles (mensurs?) milled in one pass?>

Reed brass strips are milled only once and then individual reeds of a single mensur are chopped out of the strip. There is no further work on the profile.

<(2) Are the weights (blobs) on the end of the lower pitched reeds milled as part of the mensurs milling process?>

Yes

<(3) Regardless of the process, is specific response (the flexibility of the reed, for lack of a better terminology) the reason for using a weight at the free end of the lower-pitched reed, rather than a more gradual taper (possibly requiring a much thinner reed)?>

No, it's a matter of getting a reed of a particular length to sound with a certain pitch, otherwise one would indeed need thousands of different sized reeds and it would be impossible to use only 2 mensurs for all keys.

<(4) Is manufacturing convenience the reason for milling across the reed (laterally) instead of milling along the length of the reed (longitudinally)? In my ignorance, I assume that might be one of the reasons for earlier reed fatigue.>

You'd need an awfully large and accurate milling tool to cut a significant number of reeds lengthways at one time. It's important to sharpen the tools regularly to reduce surface roughness and thus early reed fatigue.

<(5) Given that the milling process is applied to the upper side of the strip of brass, I assume that the lower side of the brass is completely flat. Is that so?>

Yes

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com