[Harp-L] Subject: BluesWax Interview with Jason Ricci - Part III

With express permission of the Editor of Blueswax Ezine, here is  part III
of the Stacy Jeffress' interview with Jason Ricci.

I'd suggest to anyone remotely interested in Blues music to check out
subscribing. The articles and photos are informative and interesting, cover a
wide range of artists and music and one's inbox is certainly never inundated
with mail.

Elizabeth

(This article was originally  published in BluesWax, the world's largest
subscribed Blues publication. It is  reposted with permission. Please do not
circulate, copy, or otherwise forward  this information without permission.
All copyrights reserved by Visionation,  Ltd. 2009. You may subscribe to
BluesWax at _www.blueswax.com_ (http://www.blueswax.com/) . It is free, we never
send anything else or  share reader information, just the Blues in your box
every Thursday.

Chip Eagle
Tribal Chief/Publisher
Visionation,  Publisher of Blues Revue, BluesWax, Dirty Linen, and FolkWax
International House of  Mojo/CDMojo.com
VizzTone Label Group
Sagebrush  Productions)

                                          BluesWax Sittin' In With

Jason Ricci

Part Three
The Forces of Good and Evil
In a Metaphysical Construct
By Stacy Jeffress

Jason Ricci
Photo by  vividpix.com

Ten years of sobriety, more than 300 shows a year, and a  healthy respect
for both God and the devil have helped fashion harmonica ace  Jason Ricci
into one of the most unusual Blues phenomena since Little  Walter. In the third
part of a three-part interview, Ricci tells  BluesWax's Stacy Jeffress, "I
believe there's a God, and I also believe  there's a devil. And it's not
because of something I read in a book." His  metaphorical dance with those two
extremes becomes the perfect vehicle for an  eclectic, at times flamboyant,
style on his latest album Done with the Devil, his second for the Eclecto
Groove label.
Stacy Jeffress for BluesWax: What is so appealing  about your playing on
your live performances and the only CD I have, Rocket  Number 9, is that you
can play the down-home Blues, and then you play  amazing, cutting-edge Fazz
fusion edgy-thing going on which kinda blows your  mind.
Jason Ricci: I think it's too much for some  people.
BW: It might be. I'm insisting that my son come see you  next month. He's
not a Blues guy. He probably wouldn't be able to relate to Lil'  Ed and the
Blues Imperials, but you I think he's going to love.
JR: It's great that you're bringing him, and I hope  that he does, and he
tells his friends, not just for our sake for the music's  sake.
BW: You're like the ambassador to the next  generation.
JR: There are a couple of us. It's good that there are  so many young
people. That's another great thing about the Internet because it  is bringing in
that group. Kids are starting to get fed up with music.  Mainstream music as
a term is really starting to dissolve because the Internet  is so powerful
that marketing is becoming so washed out, so diversified. Twenty  years ago
you were told, "This is the hit record and here's what you buy."  Nowadays
there's a lot of music, and it's all free. It's everywhere. How do you  find
it? People stumble upon it. Word of mouth is as powerful as ever.
BW: I saw that in 2006 you did 319 shows. For somebody  who's "lazy," how
do you sustain? How do you do 319 shows in a year?
JR: You have to want it; you have to have a band that  wants it with you.
One of the reasons we did so many shows was because in 2006  we weren't
getting paid very much, so it was necessary to do. That's one of the  reasons our
touring schedule has slowed down. It's not because we don't want to  work
more or we want to work less, it's because we are now getting paid more,  and
when you get paid more what happens is the amount of venues you can play at
 that price diminishes.
BW: You're going on ten years sobriety?
JR: Yup
BW: That's quite the achievement. I wondered about the  title of the new
CD, Done with the Devil, if that was a way of  celebrating the 10 years of
sobriety or didn't it have anything to do with  it.
JR: It's more complex than that. The title is Done  With The Devil But The
Devil Ain't Done With You. To a degree it is one  person's resignation from
that lifestyle, but it also an acknowledgement that  there are forces both
internal, being natural self-destructive urges, even  supposing external on a
spiritual level. I am supposing through much of the  lyrics on this CD that
there are at work forces that are both good and bad and  that have nothing
to do with psychology that are every bit metaphysical. That is  my personal
experience.
I'm a firm believer in the spirit world, and I wasn't always.  It is
through experiences that I've had that are described in this song and  other songs
on the CD that have made me a believer in the demonic, which is  nothing
I've subscribed to in my past life. I had a ghost story, that's a really
light way of putting it. I had a really strange paranormal experience that
changed my mind, changed my life, and I've never been the same. I wrote a lot of
 the songs or decided to pick a lot of the songs on the CD based on that
experience.
BW: Do you want to talk about that?
JR: Not really. I'm pretty much an open book with  everything in the entire
world, sexuality, my past, everything other than that.  I believe there's a
God, and I also believe there's a devil. And it's not  because of something
I read in a book.

"You have to want it; you have to
have a band that wants it  with you."

BW: Will there be all originals on the new CD that you or  your band wrote?
JR: Either I wrote them or [guitarist] Shawn  [Starski] wrote them. Todd
Edmunds, my drummer, wrote them, or all  four of us wrote them. In most cases
the latter.
BW: It's so uplifting when you describe in the liner notes  how "I'm A New
Man" came to be: "I wrote this on my way to jail and finished it  six months
or so in."
JR: There's another one on the new CD. It's musically  nothing like that,
but it is uplifting. We have a couple of tunes on this record  that I think
are going to be potentially more accessible to the listening public  whereas
Rocket Number 9 has a lot of Jazz fusion on it. We still have  retained that
element, however I believe we have toned it down quite a bit. I  would say
we refined it and we're not quite as reckless in the likes of which we  do
it, and how we do it. I would say we've grown a little. We've sophisticated a
 hair.
This record is much more Blues-based. It's much more of a  Blues record
than anything we've ever done before, even more than our  independent release
Blood on the Road, which was by far the bluesiest  record we'd ever done. We
even have an acoustic number on this CD with an  upright bass, an acoustic
guitar, and a harmonica and a snare drum played with  brushes in one room
recorded at one time, no overdubs, singing it, playing it  like we're on the
porch. I can't wait for everybody to hear it.

I've finally come up with an accurate description of  Rocket Number 9 now
that it's over with, and that description would be  "Art Blues." They called
the Velvet Underground "Art Rock," and I think  that's what that album was.
This album is not that. It's much more  straightforward. And the cool thing
is that nobody set out to do that. We  weren't going, "Okay, we've got to
please them. We'd better do some Blues or  they're going to get mad." It's
just not us.
The Blues community in general is so supportive of Rocket  Number 9. We as
a band really expected a lot more backlash than we got, so  we were
pleasantly surprised at how well we were accepted by the Blues  community. The fact
that they didn't really care about the funny hair, really  didn't care about
being gay, didn't really care about the jazzier rocky songs.  They gave us
festival slots. Blues societies gave us shows, gave us club dates,  they
gave us money in terms of buying the CD and tipping us.
I think the band got really excited about that, and it really  put a good
taste in our mouth about Blues in general. I think that's maybe why  there
were more Blues songs on this record. It's, okay, that's not going to  bother
you, so now we'll just do it your way. If someone came out and said, "We
hate this, this is terrible, this isn't blues, and you don't know what you're
talking about," I think the band would have been more tempted to go
further, to  even make it weirder that it was before. 'Cause we're like that. We're
 rebels.
BW: How did you meet [lead guitarist] Shawn  [Starski]?
JR: I met him in Florida. I was in a local band called  The Knucklebusters
at a time. This was circa 1999-2000. He was in the  rival local band. I was
looking for a new guitar player and hired a friend of  his from Florida to
come up and do the gig. The kid who I'd initially hired  couldn't do the gig
because he had another job he had to do that paid more. He  sent Shawn in
his place as a temporary substitute. So Shawn came and the very  first day
aced the gig. The band no longer wanted to hire JP, as great as he is.  We
thought, "Shawn's perfect." Then JP called again and said he couldn't do it
altogether, so it was sort of a blessing, and I offered the gig to Shawn, and
it  didn't even take Shawn a second or two, "Yeah I'll do it," instantly.
We moved him up here to Nashville like a week later, and it's  been great.
Working with him has been the most meaningful musical relationship  of my
entire life by far. And should he ever decide to go do his own thing or to
take some time off, you can rest assured that I will be taking some time off
as  well because it will take me quite a long time to recover from the loss
of a  partner like that. I'm musically enmeshed with how he writes and how he
does  things, I've grown very dependent, and I hope vice versa on how he is
as a  songwriter, artist, and performer.
I feel privileged to be part of the nurturing process of an  artist like
that, that I have taken somebody like that from a local band and  exposed him
to a lifestyle that has allowed him to progress. I'm not responsible  for
his guitar playing. I'm only saying that I did get him on the road, and I  did
get him to where he didn't have to worry about anything else besides
playing  guitar. And in doing that, he has blossomed into I think the best guitar
player  I've ever heard.
BW: How old is he?
JR: 29. When I hired him he was 24.
BW: Was it Guitar magazine that named him one of  the ten best guitar
players?
JR: That's exactly right, Guitar Player magazine["Top Ten Hottest New
Guitarists," June 2008]. On this record he  sings as well. He's a natural, much
better vocalist than I am right off the bat  with no practice.
BW: And then Buck Weed, also known as Todd, how long has  Todd been with
you?
JR: Coming up on four, four and a half years.  Multi-instrumentalist: tuba,
sousaphone, trombone, anything in the bass class,  bass harmonica, piano.
He is the brains behind the project in terms of if  there's a question of
what to do musically or what is the appropriate rule to  break, he knows the
answer. If somebody needs to figure out what key something's  in, what time s
ignature's in it, that's the guy we go to. He's very formally  trained. He's
done big band work his whole life, Jazz band in high school,  marching band,
Sight reads. Biggest Jazz freak in the band. When he's not  playing with us
and there's time off, he's doing Jazz gigs for a living.
BW: I think you have a relatively new drummer.
JR: His name is Ed Michaels. Ed won't really  tell us where he's from. We
don't know very much about him. We know he's played  with Alvin Youngblood
Hart, Commander Cody, and Roy Rogers.   When we found him, he was crashing at
somebody's house in Phoenix. He has no  place to live. He's a complete gypsy
with no physical address.
Stacy Jeffress is a contributing writer at BluesWax. She may be contacted
at BluesWax@xxxxxxxxxx

fingertips.