From: "Mad Dog Friedman" <maddog@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] RE: blown out harps
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:36:29 -0600

Hi Rick,

I guess I am on the other end of the spectrum from Bill.  I blow out harps
all the time.  My record is 3 in one night.  I always carry backups in the 6
keys I use all the time (D, A, C, G, F & Bb).  I am not sure if I am a hard
blower (or just a big sucker), if I eat too many hot peppers or just drool
too much. My worst "blow out" was when a sucked a reed clear out of the harp
and down my throat! I have tried blowing more softly but then a pretty girl
walks by or the blues sneaks up from behind.  Harp type & key does make a
huge difference.  Marine Band Deluxes out last anything else I have tried by
2 to 5 times.  I seem to be especially hard on my D harps.  Most of the
fast, hard hitting tunes, my band,  Papa Juke, does are in A.  I can go
through a D in one week with a  Golden Melody, Special 20, Sydel or Lee
Oskar.   I'll  get 2 -3 weeks out of a D Suzuki Promaster (if I take care to
break it in nicely).  The D Marine Band Deluxes generally last me about a
month or more which make them the most cost effective, and I love their
tone.  I just got some Herring Vintages that seem like a better value than
the Marine Band Deluxes but just a notch down in tone as they are slight bit
"airier." (This could make them last better.)  I'll let you know how they
fair but they feel real solid.  Yes, I take all my harps off my taxes along
with other equipment and mileage to the gigs. I hope this helps if you are
also cursed with HBOD (harp blow out disorder).

Mad Dog Friedman
www.maddogharp.com
970-203-4757