From: fjm <bad_hat@xxxxxxxx>
To: h-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] RE: blown out harps
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 08:41:43 -0700

There does seem to be some similarity between singing and playing
harmonica.  I would imagine that a lot of the techniques cross over but
not being formally trained in voice I can only venture guesses. Ever
pick up a harmonica backwards and try to play it?  Remember what
happened?  for me the note doesn't sound.  Why? Impedance mismatch.
Mike and I were having an argument something along these lines.  I went
so far as to use a regulated air stream to sound notes.  Low notes would
not sound at the same pressure as higher notes and the range of
acceptable pressures was narrow.  Vern has done similar experimentation
with a vacuum  source.  A pity that Pat Missin no longer graces us with
his company.  No doubt he'd have more informed thoughts on this topic
than I do.  fjm