Re: [Harp-L] Reed Material from Micro-Mark

On Jun 23, 2009, at 3:20 PM, Harvey Berman wrote:

Micro-Mark lists .006" sheets of Phosphor Bronze, which comes in a pack of 3 5X7 sheets. The price is $11.55. With the exception of the weight and the pad, this is pretty close to what most reeds should be, so I ordered a pack to experiment with. When the pack came, it was actually .008", which is too thick.

Not really, you may 'want' the extra thickness for the rivet pad (which are fragile once pierced). Bottoming a rivet on the pad is a fracture risk. The extra meat is a good thing, and a thick pad will do nothing to hurt the finished reed. The extra thickness will be handy for lower pitched reeds.

I talked to Mico Mark, and they called the manufacturer, who told them that the .006" is not going to be available, so they shipped them .008 So, if anyone is considering ordering this product, Part number 83100, be advised that it is really .008".

I decided to cut out a reed, and I started sanding the thickness, and blowing the reed. When I got to almost .006, I got a pretty good sounding reed. It took a long time with my sanding wand, but it worked, and left me with a pad that is .008".

While I use 900 & 600 emory coated popsicle sticks for finish work, I would use a fine diamond fingernail file or a 'sho-fu brownie' neoprene pencil eraser shaped rotary burr for the major removal.

If anyone can recommend a quick method of cutting .008" Phosphor Bronze, and also for taking off .002" in thickness, without a huge investment in metalworking tools, I would appreciate it.

I took an old doctor's penlite type flashlight which usually has 2 aaa batteries in it. I removed a battery and replaced it with an electric motor from a camera. With only one tiny battery, the motor doesn't put out enough torque to do any damage. You can get more or less the same effect with a cosmetologist's or manicurist's buffing tool. They are virtually the same principle. You could even power the tools with a tiny a.c./d.c. electric adaptor in the 2.5-3 volt range.

Say away from Dremel and other brands of rotary tools. WHAAAAAAY too powerful. You could touch it to your work only to watch it fly across town and impale a squirrel.

smo-joe

Harvey Berman