Re: [Harp-L] Reed Material from Micro-Mark

Most reeds are cut from stock about .012" thick. This will be the thickness of the square bases and the slugs at the tip of the low pitched reeds. You can buy shim stock from McMaster Carr if you wish to make reeds.

Unfortunately, reeds are not the same thickness from root to tip. They have a non-linear taper called a thickness profile. I doubt that you can make satisfactory reeds from .006" or .008" flat stock. The low-pitched reeds can be .010" thick near the root. The high-pitched reeds can be .002" thick near the tip. None of them is the same thickness from root to tip.

To make satisfactory reeds, you must:

1. Know what the profile should be. You can get an idea by using a micrometer at several places along the length of a commercial reed. I made a little fixture that uses a dial indicator feeling the reed on a little track on which it can slide.

2. Cut the profile into the stock. This is much more difficult and usually requires a special machine.

3. Understand that the design of a reed involves more than pitch, You can make a reed of the correct pitch whose stiffness is too little or too great making it unresponsive to normal blowing/drawing pressure. It can be the correct pitch and stiffness but have too much stress at one place,

The pitch of a reed is very sensitive to changes of thickness near the root where most of the bending tends to occur. You can verify this by removing a tiny bit of material in this area and observing the amount the pitch decreases. Using stock that is a couple of mils too thick or thin can really start you out in "left field." design-wise.

One purpose of the taper is to spread the stress more evenly along the length of the reed. A flat reed will have a huge amount of stress near the rivet and fail there quickly. Most reed designs make the root a bit thicker/stronger to reduce the stress there.

Making reeds is an interesting challenge, there is much more to it than cutting a piece flat stock to the outline of a reed and installing it in your harp.

Good luck. Let us know how you fare.

Vern

----- Original Message ----- From: "Harvey Berman" <cscharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>