[Harp-L] Old Used Tubes in New Amps

This is a tech question by a blues playing tone freak; be warned.

I have a newly acquired 1995 Fender Blues Deluxe that I'm using for harp. I know it's not a first choice amp for most harp players; but I'm going to try my best to make it work. I've also got some old, but still working, 7025 preamp tubes lying around-- 12AX7s by another name. Definitely not NOS, but working.  They came out of my '63 Fender Concert amp, and are no longer needed for that amp.

Here's my question-- should I be trying those old, used preamp tubes in my (relatively new) Blues Deluxe?  It's got Sovtek 12ax7s in it right now.  I know everybody says use new old stock (NOS) tubes for tone improvements, but I can't afford them.  The reason I'm asking is I've also read somewhere that the high frequency loss resulting from tube aging might work in a harp player's favour if he's looking for a warm or mellow, i.e. not harsh or strident, sound.

Ideas, anyone?  Especially from those who have actually put old used tubes in new tube amps.

Cheers,

wolf kristiansen

http://www.flickr.com/gift/