RE: [Harp-L] Minor Key Harmonicas

Derwood wrote:
<I must admit, which I do with a bit of trepidation in this group, that I own
<and recommend natural Minor Key Harps. I find that I can play in minor keys
<more intuitively with them and focus on the music and expression. For me it
<is about playing music more than continually expanding my skills. I don't
<see why I need to make it harder on myself.
<
<Thanks for asking the question because I have been dying to bring this up
<and see how the list responds. So here I am, out of the closet. I like my
<minor harps. Am I alone? IS there anything inherently wrong with them?

How could there possibly be anything wrong with any diatonic harmonica tuning, so long as it gets the job done with a minimum of fuss and turmoil?  I own and use 6 different diatonic tunings, and every one of them does something that is difficult or flat-out impossible on a standard tuning.

Robert Johnson used open G and D tunings on the guitar.  Muddy Waters used open G with a capo to raise it to Bb.  Joni Mitchell uses 51 (count 'em, 51) different tunings on guitar.  So what's wrong with changing the layout of the diatonic every once in a while?

I mean, it's not like the Richter tuning was handed down to Moses on stone tablets.  A tuning is just a tool.  If there's a better tool available, you use it.

Any player can use whatever they like, of course.  But keep in mind that your tools impose limits as well as capabilities, and when you're using the same tools for everything, those limits are always there.

Thanks and regards, Richard Hunter