Re: [Harp-L] RE: Bill Kumpe and Dr. Fertig

  Bo, loved your quote.? brings back memories of all the Deacons going to the back edge of the woods to smoke their cigarettes after the offering plate pass - my daddy being one of them.? I finally figured out he was a Deacon because he couldn't go an hour or so without smoking a cigarette.? raised Baptist and no dancing was among the rules along with no swearing, smoking, drinking, no buying nuttin on a Sunday if it was business related (my daddy told a man on a Sunday that if that head of cows was still for sale at that price on Monday - some Baptist that looked just like him was going to be there to pay him that price - Momma didn't like that sidestep either).? wouldn't trade all that religious training for anything in this world even though i am a "backslider" by my departed Momma's definition.? btw, when she learned she could take her bridge skills to Las Vegas and make $$$ playing blackjack - gambling was no longer considered a sin if you used the money right.? Momma was a blue haired cardshark.? for me, i always thought the Pentecostals had better music than we did.

Boogie

-----Original Message-----

From: bostonmoejo <bostonmoejo@xxxxxxx>

To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Sent: Fri, Jun 26, 2009 9:04 am

Subject: Re: [Harp-L] RE: Bill Kumpe and Dr. Fertig

It has been said that the reason Baptists are so opposed to sex is that it leads

to dancing.

~Bo

(A recovering Baptist)

In a message dated 06/26/09 07:58:52 Eastern Daylight Time, jameshoskinz@xxxxxxxxxxx

writes:

I know this was said in jest, but I think the harp world should welcome all

the baptists that come along. Baptists got soul.

I would guess there has been many blues harmonica players raised baptist.  I

believe Howlin Wolf was raised baptist, for just one.

Although I haven't been to church in over 40 yrs., I feel fortunate to have

been raised baptist. For one thing we had FUN, picnics, hayrides, camping,

etc.  And number one, the music at our church was much more exciting than

the churches down the street. The church pianist loved to play boogie-woogie

for the kids (not during service) and although it was frowned on by some. it

never stopped her.

'backslidin' baptist' James

Wasn't there a famous religous figure by the name of Smith? (that was said

in jest too)