[Harp-L] HUNTER'S HARMONICA FESTIVAL

On Saturday, June 20th, 2009, myself, along with A.J. Fedor (and wife
Barbara), Danny G, and Richard Loving (and son Gerald) all went to check out
Hunter's Harmonica Festival at Rock Falls Park in Slippery Rock, PA.

We arrived at the festival at around 2:00 PM. There were two stages running
and the bands alternated between them. The festival was more like a blues
band festival, but that was okay because they all had harmonica players.
Several harmonica players immediately recognized the chord harmonica case I
carried in and were inquisitive regarding the status of us playing on stage.

The owner co-owner of Rock Falls Park, Todd Heinsberg, was expecting us and
met up with us when we arrived. He offered some stage time in between bands
at 5:00.

So at 5:00, I started out by introducing myself, AJ, and Danny, that we
belong to an international organization that is the Society for the
Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica. I introduced the chord and
Little Lady harmonicas, and then played My Blue Heaven. I then turned the
mic over to Danny G and A.J. who both individually played 3 numbers on their
chromatics with sound tracks.

After our presentation, there were many questions about our harmonicas and
where they can learn more which I directed to http://www.spah.org/
http://slidemeister.com/ and http://www.youtube.com/user/harpbeats

I learned from the co-owner of the park that this harmonica festival was
named after Dr. E.H. Hunter Davis, who taught at Davis and Elkins College in
Elkins WV, and Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA.

Rock Falls Park is nestled along the Slippery Rock Creek, near the falls at
State Route 173 South of Slippery Rock PA. The grounds are rustic and
largely unimproved. Rustic camping is available for $7.00 per person per
night.

My overall impression is that this "harmonica" festival can grow with
national promotion. Slippery Rock PA is a college town in a good location,
home of Slippery Rock University, north of Pittsburgh PA, south of Erie PA,
and east of Youngstown/Cleveland OH.  I think that a band which features the
harmonica player as front man, and who has a large following, would very
successfully put this venue on the national map.

Feel free to contact me for more thoughts and impressions on this festival
and venue.