From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Richard Hammersley
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:09 AM
To: Nicholas Lovett
Cc: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Any pro's got insight on Little Walters harmonies?

"It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it, that's what moves me so.
You can try hard, don't mean a thing..."

As Winslow Yerxa says, Little Walter is not harmonically complex. It is the
sophistication of the timing that matters. This applies to most of the great
blues players of that generation, whatever they play.

Western musical notation is deficient in notating timing, compared to melody
and harmony. So timing is hard to teach out of books.  Often, more musically
literate blues players tend to focus on what they know
- melody and harmony - and so neglect rhythm.

One can play the 'wrong' notes harmonically speaking, if you integrate them
correctly into the rhythmic sense of the piece. Look at compositions by Monk
or MIngus for instance. Little Walter was not that sophisticated, but he
understood rhythm very well.

Another comment is not to trust the transcriptions of older blues into
musical notation. Often these transcriptions even out rhythms (and
notes) to fit the stave. When you listen, it does not necessarily work
properly.

On 29 Jun 2009, at 21:49, Nicholas Lovett wrote:

> I've heard he harmonizes like Lester Young.  He uses a lot of jazz
> chords in his compositions.  I've been studying his phrasing, and
> wondered if anyone has any insight on how/if his phrasing is different
> because of the different chords he employs.  Ex. In the key of g with
> a c harp(Off The Wall, Ah Baby), he does a lot with
> trills/slides/warbles on the 4/5/6 holes.  Any thoughts to share?
>
> Nicholas Lovett

Richard Hammersley
Grantshouse, Scottish Borders
http://www.last.fm/music/Richard+Hammersley