Re: [Harp-L] Improvisation: long road/short road

One reason LW is so compelling is that he played in the moment  -  improv
style - at least according to hearing different recorded takes on the  same song,
such as Juke.

On the flip side, there are some great songs crafted to be played the same
each time, like Whammer Jammer, which Magic Dick recreates mostly note for note
 (at least when I heard him play it over the years).

Personally, I choose the improv direction. Instead of proving that I  can
"cut and paste" a song by spending practice hours playing it the same over  and
over, I prefer the excitement of playing something for the first time almost
every time - hey, kinda like what Miles Davis was looking for.

The Iceman

In a message dated 3/2/2009 11:42:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,