Re: [Harp-L] Improvisation: long road/short road

In a message dated 3/3/2009 8:49:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

....just  curious, where did ³ICE²man come from? Isn¹t ICE rigid and
inflexible?  (consider name change to "RUBBER"man...)

True Story Time -

Once upon a time, many years ago, in a city called Detroit, there lived a
harmonica player by the name of Buck Steele - (his real birth name, btw - his
parents apparently knew he was to grow up to be a harmonica  player).

Buck Steele was a tall, thin good looking guy who liked to make a  physical
presence in the bars, dressing up for the gig - I seem to remember a  harmonica
belt of sash of some kind and a cool hat. He played pretty good harp,  too.

As I began to re-emerge into the music scene after leaving it for 10  years
or so, I started to focus on harmonica and less on keyboards. Stepping out  to
jam sessions, etc, I would get on stage and play as Larry Eisenberg. Buck
used to pull me aside and say, "You play pretty good, but you need an image. You
look pretty relaxed and cool when you play. I know - your last name is
Eisenberg, so how about The Iceburg?"

So, when I'd do my jam tunes at the jam session, he'd be in the audience
yelling out "Yo. Ice'em down, Iceburg. It's COOOOL".

Well, as these things do, it sorta caught on. However, I felt that  Iceburg
was too inanimate, so the next logical progression was  Iceman.

And voila, history was made......(koff)

steps!
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)