RE: [Harp-L] re: mind and improvisation

One last post on the subject and I'll be quiet...

Rainbow Jimmy wrote:
>>> Usually I like to have a solo well thought out. When I improvise
it's hit or miss and there's a lot of repetition and stealing from other
riffs.  Usually it's the long winded weekend jam sessions with no
audience where I try different stuff and try to dream up stuff, then I
take it home and do drill work. <<<

There is something which has always happened to me and I can't explain
it. I was wondering if anyone else had the same experience.

It seems no matter how much I practice there are things which escape me.
However, when I get on stage for a jam session or to sit-in with a band
(i.e. - unrehearsed, unfamiliar tunes), licks that have been impossible
to get at home seem to flow from me. The thing is, I don't purposefully
set out to play those particular riffs. It just sort of happens
spontaneously; without warning or forethought. In a millisecond my mind
says: "Hmmm...I bet that Primich lick would fit nicely right about
here..." and then it just happens. After that, it's programmed into my
hard drive and I can play it on demand.

Weird. But cool. I always joke that I love playing out so that I can
find out what I've learned this week!

John Balding
Tallahassee, FL