Re: [Harp-L] Live recording

You basically have two options:

1) If your mix on the board is good, you can usually record straight off it using a line out to a tape deck or other external recording device (like a computer).

2) If you want a feel for the full ambiance, set up a couple or three mics around the room, plugged into a separate mixer (from the PA) or straight into a recording device.

Things to take into consideration:
* Is this your regular sound guy? ie, does he know your band and your tunes?
* If it's the house sound guy, do you know if he's any good or not? You may want to try to talk to him in advance so he's not surprised the night of the gig when you show up and tell him you want it recorded.
* Is everyone always mic'ed? If not, then you won't get a good mix in the board and you'll need to do it "in the field" instead.
* Can your external recording device record separate tracks so you can balance, eq, add effects, and otherwise edit them later?
* Will this be for promotional purposes, or just for your own listening pleasure? ie, how clean do you want it to be?

Seth

Dave Shannon wrote:
Got the chance to do a decent live recording at an upcoming gig. Any advice on how best to achieve this? We are a six-piece: guitar, harp, drums, bass, keys, vocals. We'll be using a 600W PA with a sound guy and he'll have five mics to mic up the band.

I'm guessing one important choice is whether the instruments levels are set in stone or whether the set up allows for some editing and post production.

Thanks in advance

Dave Shannon
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . http://www.myspace.com/beaandthehoneytones
http://www.myspace.com/daveshannonsdeadcatbounce