  From: Jp Pagán
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 8:50 PM
  Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Shelf Space

  I've never had much luck getting a good harp selection at any brick &
  mortar store. I've been to Guitar Center as well as to some well known
  places here in NYC like Manny's and Sam Ash. Usually they have like,
  50 Blues Harps in C and maybe a couple other harps in A or G, maybe F,
  and that's it. For the longest time, I've ordered my harps online: any
  key you want, any make, any model, and usually arrives in a couple of
  days. Besides, my money goes to people who are part of and care about
  the harmonica community, not to Guitar Center or Sam Ash. Not that
  there's anything wrong with that, but they care little or not at all
  about harmonica players. Then again, maybe it's because of people like
  me. ;)

  -Jp

  --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rick Davis <bluesharpamps@...>
  wrote:

   > I've noticed over the last couple years that shelf space dedicated to
   > harmonicas in music stores has dwindled to almost nothing.  Stores
  like
   > Guitar Center (and others like it) used to have big displays of
  harps in or
   > behind the accessories counter.  Now the only thing I see is the
  little
   > Hohner box that perches on the counter.
   >
   > What's up?  Have harp sales fallen off so much that stores no
  longer want to
   > devote shelf space, or have other items such as pedals made in
  China become
   > so profitable that harmonicas are squeezed out?  I bought a Special
  20 in C
   > today and had to walk up and down the counter several times before
  I found