Re: Subject: [Harp-L] foam for harp case

On Mar 9, 2009, at 9:36 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

The idea of covering the foam with fabric wasn't mine....Tom Baehr from the
Slidemeister board mentioned his wife had lined a cigar box case with foam
and then glued crinkled velvet over it as a special holder for a single
chromatic for him....it stuck in my mind. Great minds clearly think alike <G>

I used to make custom pistol cases. Guys would win prize pistols at the various shooting competitions. Sometimes the cases were custom, but sometimes they were just the plastic or cardboard the gun would normally come in.
Basically what I was doing was going to the cigar stores and copying the humidors. I would then make smaller versions out of various exotic woods. The insides were foam pieces/scraps left over from my brother in law's custom van business.
I would outline the gun with a felt tip and then cut it with a hot wire knife. (Soldering iron with spade tip also works). Then it was a matter of fitting and gluing the foam with corduroy, felt, velvet, naugahyde, or some such material. I was putting more work into the boxes than I could sell them for. It turns out that guys don't mind winning a $325.oo pistol (well over $1,100.oo at today's prices), but wouldn't put $95.oo into a custom case.
BUT, for one's own personal use, it's an idea.

...the site posted by Zig (Don Zeller) (mentioning the pluck foam for toy
soldiers)....also carries a special foam spray adhesive. I've already bought a
tacky spray adhesive for fabrics which I'd probably try first though.

Try any adhesives FIRST. Some will melt the foam as the vehicle is petroleum based. There is a Swiss foam that we used to use for constructing fibreglass boat parts that doesn't melt around epoxy or polyester...so it's pretty tough stuff. I no longer know where you can get it, but regular foam should suffice.

smo-joe (who would rather Puro now than Purolator)

_http://www.carrycasesplus.com/glue-1-p29856.html_ (http://www.carrycasesplus.com/glue-1-p29856.html)

I'm interested enough to give your approach a shot if my pick and pluck
doesn't work as well as I'd hoped, since the foam block I've been using in my
train case did shred a lot (thanks to my chopping it up badly in a rush). My
only excuse is that I was cutting it at midnight - no 'measure twice, cut once'
this time, ;) before an early morning flight to Buckeye ...going on two days
with almost no sleep, and simply too tired to dig out the electric carving
knife.

For the chromatics, I merely made a slit in the lower level (hinging the
foam halfway)...pushing 3 CX-12's into the slits. It held them firmly. The 4th
CX and the Super 64 fit into the top layer, along with the 10 or so diatonics
standing on end.... it was very tough to get them back out, ergo my reason
for ordering the pick and pluck afterwards.

Thanks for the information on your case. One way or another I'll have a
lighter weight and much better functioning harp bag which is still small and
'cool' for my next trip, and which will have cost me a fraction of the major
'gig' cases. I'm not a professional player, so don't see the need to have for
myself the kind of case which will withstand the rigors of stage life. They
simply aren't a necessity for me, especially since my shoulder injury and need
for a small, lightweight but rugged case I can fit into my carry on for plane
travel.

I have the case, now it's just a matter of making it work.

Elizabeth

"Message: 3