[Harp-L] RE: Ireland

Gilbert asked the following:

"What top 3-5 tunes should I study on harp, so I can sit
in at the pubs when I go to Ireland? Scotland??
What is the jam etiquette in this pub situation?

Robert Hale, "the Duke Of Wail"
http://www.dukeofwail.com/
Gilbert, Arizona"

Gilbert, I'd suggest buying a few tremolo (Hohner) or AutoValve harps, keys
of C, G, D, and Am, Bm, and Em perhaps. Books to look into to prepare for it
are available from Phil Duncan, Glenn Weisser, and I remember Rick Epping
having a page on Irish harmonica on the web that was very good. Aspire to be
Brendan Powers. I found relatively few pub sessions while I was in Dublin,
but once away from the city found more. Top tunes is a tough one, because I
found favorite tunes to be 'regional' much as Piedmont blues here is
different from Delta blues is different from Chicago blues. In the music,
glissandos abound and it is delightful in the little runs up and down and
back with very rapid single note melodic playing. You may find chording
along with songs to be a real challenge.

The blues scene does exist in Dublin and you'll probably find more than a
few places to play. If you're going to be in Dublin, I believe Waltons Music
is still there and they can point you to the 'local' scene. Have
fun...beautiful country.

bill otten