[Harp-L] Re:Bending 7 D and 8 D on an unvalved diatonic

I've mentioned previously about getting both strong overblows and some closing reed bends on a well set up harp. I'd use the OB for getting a stable note and the 'blow bend' for expression or quick slurs. I don't find them to be useful as a substitute for OBs, valves or altered tunings but I think they could certainly add to the musicality of piece.

They're not something I've spent much time on; I've got too many other things to learn. I just know that they can be done. When I checked with a strobe tuner I found the 4, 5, and 6 blow can be bent down 50-65 cents (quarter tone) and still be quite robust. You're right though; gentle, focused control is the way do them.

I currently use Suzuki harps and find them to be good in the mid-range for this technique. I seem to remember having a couple of Oskars (long since disposed of) that worked well in the upper draw holes as per your experience.

Paul