[Harp-L] Teaching "Position" ~ consult these guys

I like Chris Michalek's and Jason Ricci's methods.
Perfect for beginners, and maybe even better for them than for the
"accomplished" player who's may be more habitually compartmentalized  in his thinking.
Chris told me a few years back (at Rockers in the Rockies), that there's no
particular reason to reduce the possibilities of the instrument to where you
have to say "I have think in this way to play 3rd, and I have to think in a
different way to play 5th.
 You play the music, and all the notes you need are there, no need to
contrive or imagine artificial boundaries or walls. It  takes time and
practice, but hey, the more you do it the better you are. It's  the law. Learn to
scales beginning on any hole. That'll keep you busy  for awhile, and open you to
many many possibilities along the way.
 I'd be the wrong guy to try and re-explain how you get to that, buy  both
these brilliant players (along with Adam Gussow and others) have made  excellent
and free YouTube instructional videos that cover it all.

Jeff G
Denver CO

In a message dated 3/11/2009 5:29:40 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,