Re: [Harp-L] Learning, Grammar and Theory (was Positions Playing)

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, IcemanLE@... wrote:

> We learned to talk and communicate through learning the rules - noun,
> pronoun, adjective, adverb. Anyone remember "diagramming a sentence"?

This may be egg-head niggling on my part, but the above is not true. We learn to talk and communicate without instruction whatsoever. We pick it up from people around us. Learning "the rules" (grammar rules) happens only after we can already talk and communicate. Pre-school children communicate quite well without having any clue what "noun" is, and there are grown adults all around the world who speak eloquently and communicate masterfully without knowing how to read or write, much less diagram a sentence. The parallel to music should be quite clear.

Language, like music, is an innate human capacity, not a "learned skill" like plumbing or typing or surgery. The "rules" (grammar) of language and music alike are abstractions and codifications of what we humans know how to do without even having to think about it.

I will agree in part with one comment:

> Not many people learned to communicate (speak/write at a
> high level) through ear training alone - at least not the ones who attended
> school.

Understanding music theory and written music, much like understanding how to read and write and the grammar of language, can help us to bring our musicianship, like our communication skills, to a higher level. Most importantly, they give us a common language with which to store, replicate, share and explore musical concepts, bringing us into a new age of music, much like written language brought us out of the age of the oral tradition (arguably, recording does this better than written music, but the point stands).

Anyway... sorry. But being clear about what written music (or written language) does or doesn't do is an important part of making the argument that it is a good thing—and it is. You don't need to learn "the rules" to communicate or to play, but I believe it will make your life much richer if you do.

Umm... keep on harpin'! :)

-Jp