[Harp-L] Playing positions

What a wide response to a note I wrote with a little tongue-blocking in my cheek.
The replies -too many to quote- brought facets of the question that show there's no "right" answer.

"Brain-side usage" struck a chord, as an instinctual player, when grooving to the
cadences, I go to some other place and play from way-down-deep.
When the music stops, it's an experience literally like awakening.
Recordings of my playing in such state are like "I didn't know I could do that". That's presumably "Left side"?
Yet there are times when I'll make a decision to take the tuneacross an octave to provide variety and stimulus
for listeners, or for fun, change playing style in the same tune... "Right side?".

As for use of the position descriptions in conversation, the majority of skilled musicians I meet
do not read music -at all, or when playing-, and only have a cheat sheet for the lyrics (some have chord groups).
There's never yet been a discussion regarding a definite choice of modalities, but we talk a lot about repertoire, mics and amps.

Oh, and the "Greek" reference aluded to the fact that the state of Greece originally had three main ethnic groups,
who were known as Ionians, Dorians, and Aeolians.

Regards to all
Geoff Atkins