Re: [Harp-L] Learning, Grammar and Theory

Bill Wrote;
> We don't necessarily learn theory to become better players. We
> learn
> theory so we can communicate with other musicians in verbal and
> written
> form.

Nonsense.

If this was the case, half or more of the players playing in symphony orchestras, big bands,
or any other groups you can imagine would not even bother with theory.

Theory allows our musical skills to improve because we learn to speak the language of music
better.  I just finished my Masters Degree in Music Education at Cal. State Univ. Fresno.
There is no way I could have even begun to think about a goal like this unless I could become
a better musician skill-wise and communication-wise.  But the skill is the most important
part.  It has allowed me to play in projects in I couldn't even begin to think about if I didn't
know theory.

Granted, theory allows you to communicate with other musicians, but mostly with other
musicians that also know theory.
Its like speaking a foreign language to someone who does not know theory when you try to
communicate with players who DONT SPEAK THE LANGUAGE well enough.

Unfortunately, most harmonica do not know enough theory.  In fact some don't any at all!
They rely on learning positions or tablature.  This method of learning music has its place to
those who are interested in using it but its far from seeing the whole picture.  Its more like
seeing a corner of the Mona Lisa when you have an opportuity to see the whole portrait, but
you settle for the just seeing the corner.  You just don't know what you're missing.
Many play by ear.  My good friend and great guitar player Steve Ono once said to me; "There's
nothing more dangerous than an educated ear" in reference to knowing theory ALONG with
having a good ear, which I have.

The best part is that theory is not going to slow your ability to play down, in fact it will speed
it up.

I hope to attend my first SPAH this year depending on when I go back to teaching from my
summer vacation.  Perhaps those of us harmonica players could speak on the importance of
learning theory in hopes to help more players realize what they are missing.

hopefully,

Roger Gonzales
Fresno, CA.