Re: [Harp-L] Learning, Grammar and Theory

Theory is a way of seeing things that at first appear to be independent facts as part of an understandable pattern.

When playing guitar and chromatic, I am learning that when I'm playing an A chord on the guitar, then any Cs on the harp are most likely C#s. Same with E chords on guitar and G#s on the harp....etc.

Theory gives one a good feeling of what comes next...very useful for any musician. When I hear or see a chord sequence C, C7.... then I anticipate an F chord and the notes F, A, or C on the harp. The idea of secondary dominants may seem arcane but they occur very frequently in real music.

I'll bet that Howard Levy, the ultimate diatonic player, knows his theory quite well.

Vern