Subject: [Harp-L] Cleaning brass?

Randy:

Cleaning away old gunk and polishing up an old harmonica will  certainly do
much to making it look and feel a lot better.

I can't speak to it lengthening the life of the reeds, but I always  clean
the brass reedplates in my harps (both chromatic and diatonic), the inside  and
outside of the metal covers, and have no worries about the product getting
onto other surfaces (apart from wood)....because it's nowhere near as toxic  as
Brasso and can clean even acrylic, glass and plastics.  I've used it for
years: MAAS metal polish (works on silver, gold too - I use it on all my
jewelry).

I've bought a small tube at my local CVS store for around $5.00...but have
paid as much as $7.99 out of town. It comes in much larger tubs for bigger
household jobs too...is now suggested for other musical instruments (saxophones,
horns, etc).

A tiny bit goes a long way...I'm careful to clean around the  reeds..and just
the very tiniest smidgen perhaps on the tip of an orange  stick...and then
cleaned off using non-shredding cloth on an especially  tarnished reed can also
be done..but very carefully....I then wipe everything  down with Rubbing
Alcohol as my final step (a soft toothbrush can ensure removal  of every trace
too). Your brass and all other metal will shine like new with a  soft 'glow', and
the polish will protect the underside of the cover plates  from future
moisture...and even remove tarnish.

 Reeds can always be replaced...especially if they've 'died'...no  amount of
cleaning can revive a dead/fractured reed. However reeds can be worked  on by
tuning (filing, deburring of the reed slot, etc)...perhaps to  extend the life
of an out of tune reed a bit.  Much information  thereto is available online

Did I emphasize enough just how gently one must clean around a reed?

Your harp might be in need of a tune-up...if it's Hohner it can be  sent in
to them, for a very reasonable fee (replacement of bad  reeds/windsavers),
screws, etc.  For a chromatic, it's well worth it.

Elizabeth

Message: 8