[Harp-L] positions etc...

I have never worked very hard at knowing all the "positions". (maybe that says something about my sex life) But rather I am always searching to find out how to play the melody . If I can play the melody I think I can play the song. Usually I play "crossed", but first and third can be better sometimes depending on the way the song lays. I think of Charlie McCoy playing Lovesick Blues or Jerry Portnoy playing Misty as benchmarks. If you can play those melodies I think you have 2nd position covered.
Most often I play in an acoustic setting where 4 of us sit around a table and share one microphone. When the solo comes you have to play loud, and there's nothing like a marine band out of the box ( well they need to be broken in and all are not created equal) to take that abuse.  I've been playing 'em for 35 years so they know me just about as well as I know them. Of course I don't over blow or play that fast, and when a note isn't there I can switch harps like I saw Norton Buffalo doing thirty years ago... And as far as playing hard, well it doesn't hurt the tone to have some air moving across that reed.  Nevertheless what was it Little Walter said?  "I just take the air and push it around a little". Well whatever it takes is what I say because I just love the way harmonica sounds regardless how you do it...
That's my nickle.
JIM