Re: [Harp-L] Allegedly rubbish?

<< IcemanLE@xxxxxxx writes:

Better  to learn on a concert grand if you are serious.

Dear Larry,
You are right of course, but the one advantage of learning piano on a  modern
electronic synth is that you can practice with headphones, or at very low
volume. GREAT when one is a beginner!
I'm divorced now, but when I was married my ex-wife HATED to hear me
practice my harmonica at home. So I practiced my harmonica in my car...( I still
do)... When parked up at the side of the street.
Impossible with a concert grand piano!
I was lucky to be born into a musical family, my mom sang soprano, both
lieder and opera, and my two sisters were musicians, and went to college at  the
Guildhall School of Music and Drama, in the City of London.... so we had a
Bechstein grand piano at home, while I grew up.. That was a loud instrument. I
tried to learn piano as a kid, but my mistakes could be heard all round the
house! That was discouraging.
When I was 8 years old, my big sister gave me a "270" chromatic harmonica,
to "keep me quiet"... It didn't work..
I've been a harmonicist ever since!
The point I want to make is, that "beginners" should always get the best
instrument that they can afford.
A good "axe" won't make a person play well, but will give a musician a  great
instrument, and they will be able to achieve their dream!
Best wishes
John Walden
London
England