Re: [Harp-L] Reed Replacement Tool

In the past I've used needle nose pliers and a drywall screw. Needlenoses have a flat side for cutting- lay them on your work surface with this flat side up. Spread the jaws open just right and they'll work for the job, allowing the rivet to pass through the gap.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill" <bill.eborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:10 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Reed Replacement Tool

I was wondering what tools to use for removing dead single reeds. I've been exchanging single reeds for a couple of years and up till now used the de-riveting tool that harponline sell. It's a bit like a pair of pliers with length of slim steel on one of the jaws that fits into a hole on the one opposite side and it makes it very easy to pop the rivets out, I think Seydel sell the same bit of kit. The problem is I've managed to break off the slim steel piece and a replacement tool is sixty euros and a week in the post.

So I was wondering about using a slim centre punch and giving the rivet a tap and free the old reed that way but i'm a bit nervous about buckling the plate. I don't have a vice but I've got an aluminium comb I could rest on which I could see working for the diatonic reed i need to replace but i also need to replace a reed in a CX12.....

What do people think?

Thanks

Bill