[Harp-L] how far?

Hello Reed Scrapers,

I'm working on a Newton Fourkey tuning, retuning from
standard diatonic plates.

How far can you go with a reed? Do you get more
distance (pitch change) out of LOWERING a reed than
RAISING? (Lowering a reed surely seems to come faster
than filing away the fat, double-thick tip of a low
reed.)

I started in the middle of the harp (holes 5 and 6)
nearest the final pitches I wanted, recognizing the
tuning "compresses" the range with more whole step
intervals, than the thirds and fourths in Standard
Diatonic.

Draw 1 has to pull up a 4th, and Blow 1 has to pull up
a 5th!   Hole 10 blow has to go down a 6th. Don't know
yet if I can take a reed that far.

Robert Hale, "the Duke Of Wail"
DUKEofWAIL.com
Gilbert, Arizona