  From: Mojo Red
  To: Mr Nick Boffa ; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:39 AM
  Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Help Please

  Hey Nick,

  Congrats on your recent purchase. I've been playing harp most of my life and I find it a very, VERY rewarding endevour. Though, like anything really worthwhile, there are no shortcuts to success.

  I don't believe there is a "fastest" way to learn. I suggest picking up a beginner's instruction book such as Jon Gindick's classic "Harmonica for the Musically Hopeless," or the more recent (and more thorough) "Harmonica for Dummies" (by our own resident lister Winslow Xerxa).

  Aside from that, you should first learn how to blow a single note. You can achieve this either through the pucker method -- narrow your lips as if drinking from a straw, or by the tongue block method -- open your mouth over three holes, cover two with your tongue and blow out of the third. Next try blowing a simple do-re-mi type whole-note scale starting with the 4 blow. On your C harmonica this is a C scale.

  4 blow
  4 draw
  5 blow
  5 draw
  6 blow
  6 draw
  7 draw
  7 blow

  Armed with this easy scale you can very easily start to pick out simple tunes such as Oh Suzzanna, When the Saints Come Marching In, Farmer in the Dell and the like. These songs all start on that 4-blow note.

  Have fun!

  Harpin' in Colorado,
  --Ken M.