Re: [Harp-L] Re: Blu-Tack: I Deserve All the Credit

Sorry for coming in late on this.  I did indeed get the Blu-Tak trick from
Brendan.  Up til then I used a mixture of beeswax and powdered brass,
inspired by the mixture of beeswax and powdered lead used to tune shengs.
Blu-Tak is fine for lowering a reed's pitch by a semitone, though I find
that using it to lower the pitch a wholetone or more can sometimes tend to
dull the tone.  Blu-Tak sticks much better than beeswax and can be fine
tuned by shifting it forward or back a little from the reed's tip.  I always
keep a bit of the stuff in my toolbox.  Thanks Brendan!

Another trick: If I'm stuck with a reed starting to go flat and I haven't
the time to replace it, I sometimes add a little super glue (the thin
variety) to the back of the reed, where it will ultimately fail.  This both
raises the pitch and acts as a splint to keep the reed going, sometimes for
as much as a few weeks.  Not something I ever recommended while working for
Hohner, as the safest thing to do is to replace the reed, but it does the
job.

I haven't forgotten about posting photos and info on restoring leather
windsavers, just been away much of the time.  I'm off again to Denmark on
Friday but I'll keep trying to get to it.

Best,
Rick