Re: [Harp-L] Learning, Grammar and Theory

Dear list,
Well I have a degree in music theory... (BA)
Also I'm a Doctor of Divinity (DD)
And a  Master and Doctor Of Business Administration... (MBA,  DBA)
Doesn't mean that I'm a good musician,
or a good Christian Minister,
or even  a successful business man!
BUT I consider my self to be  a world class harmonicist...
Simply because I make nice music. Not because I have "qualifications". I've
played as a solo artist, up to performing classical music  with a 90 piece
orchestra. I was never so happy as when I was on the road with "John Walden
Workshop" in Europe 40 odd years ago! (With a 6 piece blues band)
Rats... Am I that old?
As far as I know Marion Walter Jacobs, (Little Walter) had no degrees...
Have no idea if he could "read the dots"
But he was probably the best diatonic player of the 20th Centaury. OR  EVER!
HE DIDN'T NEED TO READ MUSIC!
As far as I know, Max Goldray, Larry Adler and Tommy Reilly didn't have
degrees in music either...
But they together all made WONDERFUL music, and established the harmonica  as
a serious musical instrument
Big Walter, Howling Wolf, and Sonny Terry ALL had next to no education, but
played world class music.
Being able to read the music and the charts.. Is useful. But that doesn't
make ANYONE into a musician!
It's the MUSIC that counts.
John Walden
London