R: [Harp-L] Harmonicas available today

1) what Brands and Model do you like and why ? I LOVE THE 1847 from SEYDEL
because of the powerful sound and because they are really easy to play, but
I play HOHNER SP20 and MARINE BAND too and I like them. Lee Oskars are a
little bit chill for me, but that's my opinion.

2) What to look for in a Brand and Model ? Here in my town I have to check
if they are available first HAHAHA. If I order a harp set in INTERNET (so
I'm free to order what I want) I look for durability good tone and good feel
when I play the instrument.

3) what keys should I get, in what order ? C Key is the best to start (it's
exactly in the middle of the tuning as far as we think as the G Key the
lowest and F Key the highest). Then you can move wherever you want. When I
go to listen to a blues band I always have with me Key of A, D, C, F...I'm
into second and third position so with those keys I can play a lot of blues
tunes.

4) When ordering from an on line site, what kind of warranty should we look
for? As far as when you put an harmonica in your mouth you couldn't give it
back, I think you should ask for a kind of warranty that assure you
something like: "If you find one broken because of transport we'll give you
another one as far as you send the broken on to us!"

5) Combs: wood,plastic,marble,gold,silver,paper,leather,bone,skin, how do
they change the sound or do they ? I think wood is a little bit warm, but
I've tried some plastic body harps and I felt better with plastic. It's up
to you and your way to play. (I have to be honest...don't use paper comb :)
)

6) Reeds: Brass,steel,aluminum,plastic, paper, how does the material change
the sound ? With the stainless steel reeds I felt like a roaring lion. They
are great, the shame is that I've broken that harp...

7) Screws on reeds: the more the better and if so why? More screws are
better because they make harp tighter and there's no air dispersion

8) Reed cover: Nails that look like screws  making one  a fool trying to
unscrew them, screws I have seen 2 or

9) Cover Plate: Material will this make a difference ? I don't think
so...the difference is the shape...but as I written here a lot of
time...it's up to you, your hand cup, your tone, your way to play...

I suggest to my student to buy a C harp with plastic body on the beginning.
That's because you need less "force" to play them and you can keep your mind
on what you are doing instead of how much "force" you have to use to play
it.

Hope to be helpful.

Riccardo Grosso - RGBand