[Harp-L] Re: New Harp Attack pedal in action

Stephen Schneider wrote:
<...it was
>time to give the new Harp Attack pedal from Lone Wolf Blues Company
>the acid test.  The Harp Attack is a true tube distortion pedal for
>harmonica; it uses a subminiature pentode tube that runs on 18v and
>sounds like an overdriven tube output stage because that's what it
>really is.  Three knobs: tone, volume, drive.  High input impedance
>for harp mics, true bypass, and I ran it on two 9v batteries instead
>of a wall wart to travel even lighter.  $175 for the pedal; more
>details at www.lwharpamps.com.

<...You may judge
>the results for yourself and perhaps understand why I had no qualms
>whatsoever.  Honestly, if I hadn't told you what I was using, what
>would you have guessed?

I'd have guessed it was a good tube amp.  Lots of reverb and/or delay in that sound, makes it a little harder to hear the underlying tone, but nevertheless a very nice-sounding rig for blues, maybe more.

This is slightly more expensive than a Boss SBM-1 bassman emulator or DR-1 Deluxe Reverb emulator, or a Digitech RP200 or RP250. Those work in a very different way--they're amp modelers, not real tube amps.  I would really have to hear them side by side before I made up my mind about which I preferred.
\
However, it's very nice to have a pedal that just plugs in and does its job.  Take pedal out of box; connect to harp mic; connect to amp; turn dials once; done.  The same might be said of the Bassman and Deluxe Reverb emulators, and of the Harp Commander, but not of the RP200 and RP250.  And it's less expensive than a Harp Commander by over $100.

Nice to have another good choice for great sounds with less work and less money.

Regards, Richard hunter
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter