[Harp-L] Subject: Re: Stevie Wonder/Prince/Frederic Yonnet/Videos/teaching in DC?

Message: 9
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 19:54:41 -0400
From: Joe and Cass  Leone <leone@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Subject: Re: Stevie  Wonder/Prince/Frederic
Yonnet/Videos/teaching in DC?
To:  EGS1217@xxxxxxx
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

On Mar 29, 2009, at 2:07 PM,  EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

> "For those who may not have know of Frederic  Yonnet earlier (I have
> his CD:
> "Blowing your Mind in  Every Key of the Harp")...he had been a
> subject of
>  discussion on this list previously.
>
>   Some didn't like  his ''overly exaggerated' movements while
> playing,   I
> think it was called. :P"

SmoJoe:  "You talkin to me? You  talkin to me? You must be talkin to me,
cause
I'm the only one  here."

Eliz:   You MUST be from New Yawk.  Only a New Yorker can  get away with
saying that with the correct inflection. ;)

...and yeah, I guess I was 'talkin' to you' (among  others). Actually, even
in my original post about Frederic Yonnet back  in 2007 where you and Jazzmaan
disapproved of his energetic style, I  didn't consider either of your
particular song (Little Wing) you  weren't overly fond of.

> Personally, I happen to love his style, since I find most harp  players
> boring as all get out when they stand plonked in place on stage  as
> if they're  not
> actually participating in MUSIC  which is at least supposed to set
> one's toes
> to tapping.  (Another player who moves to the music is Jason
>  Ricci...aha, maybe there's a theme?)

>  Having grown up  listening to R&B music I can't imagine NOT moving
> to  the
> music and I really enjoy watching Frederic dance while he  plays,
> since it's
> exactly what I do at home when no  one's watching (perhaps not
> quite  so
> energetically  since he's a bit younger than me). <G>  But he sure
> generates a level of
> excitement and fun on stage appreciated by  the  audience.

> Stevie Wonder and Frederic Yonnet - Boogie on  Reggae Woman

> _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsvrcAQFciM_
>  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsvrcAQFciM)

> and a different angle  (and extended version)...same show:

> Frederic Yonnet and Stevie  Wonder (Frederic was Stevie's guest)

>  _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUsoy822WPw_
>  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUsoy822WPw)

> And playing OUR  National Anthem at Madison Square Garden in
> 2007....this
>  relocated to our shores French native:

SmoJoe:  "I thought he was  from Martinique?"

Eliz:  Really?  I'd no idea.  I keep hearing him referred to  as French. One
guy makes a point of injecting: 'he's a frenchman' into every one  of his
YouTube videos with no other comment. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be  an
insult or a compliment. You know a lot more about him than I do.  Wasn't  he a
guest at SPAH a few years back, before my time?

This time I also found Danielle's post about needing a teacher in DC.
(attached below).

> and, some information (more about Frederic I  hadn't known before
> and more
> about Prince's latest tour  and new albums I hadn't read)...at this
> link of
>  Fred's:

> _http://fredyonnet.com/news.html_  (http://fredyonnet.com/news.html)

> What's also interesting is that  somewhere in there among his other
> links he
> does offer  private lessons.  AND is located in the Washington, DC
> area,  for
> the poster (Danielle?) who recently inquired looking for a  teacher
> there?

>  Elizabeth
*******

"Message:  8