Re: [Harp-L] Speaker overtones or Ghost notes

Yes.  Ghost notes or cone cry can be a problem with a single 12-inch speaker
in tube amps when using a hot bullet mic.  I've had fits with that.  I had
to tinker with different combinations of speakers, power tubes, preamp
tubes, and mics to get the tone I wanted without the ghost notes.

The ghost notes occurred with really good speakers as well as not so good.
I won't mention the speaker brands because I don't want to taint them when
the problem was not really theirs.  I finally settled on an old Mojotone
MP12R -- their knockoff of the early Jensens -- and PRESTO...  the tone was
just right and the ghost notes were gone.  This is in my 5F2H amp, using a
TAD 6L6WGC-STR power tube and a 5751 preamp tube.  The mic is a Peavey H5
Cherry Bomb with a Shure CM.

You can hear samples of this amp at my band website: www.roadhousejoe.com

-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog