[Harp-L] Re: Can anyone point to a middle octave 1st positionblues:

It isn't a dead take of the whole of 'Savoy Blues' by Louis, but it imitates closely Louis' first two solos. Take a listen for yourself - the solos I'm talking about come after Lonnie Johnson's two twelves on guitar: http://video.google.com.au/videosearch?sourceid=navclient&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-09,GGLD:en&q='Savoy+Blues'+Louis+armstrong&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=mZnSSbydHomG6APj0OCUBA&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#

RD

>>> "Dave Dix" <dixdr@xxxxxxxxxxx> 31/03/2009 21:35 >>>
How about Mean Low Blues by Blues Birdhead?

He's in the top octave a lot but strays down to the middle a fair bit.

I read somewhere on the interweb (so it must be true) that this was a cop of Savoy Blues by Louis Armstrong - which is why so much of the phrasing sounds like someone playing a cornet rather than a harmonica.

I've always assumed that, although this comes out in F#, it must've been originally played in G and got lost in the mastering speeds. It'd be nice for someone to remaster it in G one of these days.