Re: [Harp-L] Re: Not all solid state amps are junk

Rick Davis wrote:
I'm not trying to start an argument; I am asking a question: If the tone comes purely from the player, what contribution did the "Green Bullet with a HOT vintage
CM" make?
That's not what he said. He said that he took that rig and MADE it work. In that sense the tone came (as in originated) from the player. The tone produced was the product of that player's skillful use of body and mind, and whatever coloration the mic and amp and speaker contributed. A nice rig an enhance what comes out but as the rig is only a conduit, the old computer science term GIGO (garpage in garbage out) still applies. A great player will make a crappy rig sound great and not the other way around. A nice rig can only make a good player sound better. That's all.

Are you saying a fancy rig can make a hack sound like a pro?

I know many Harp-Lers insist gear has no bearing on tone. Splash seemed to be making the same point. Yet in the same paragraph he touted the tonal characteristics of a certain microphone.
Apologies to Splash if i misinterpret his intentions but I do not think he was trying to make a more general point as you are attempting to infer. He was simply relating his experience and gently reminding us that despite the fact that his friend was using a non approved rig, it was the player after all who made it work.
So which is it? Does gear contribute to tone or not?
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog
http://www.bluesharpamps.blogspot.com/