[Harp-L] Rookie questions

Random Standard wrote:
	Let's just say i'm broke as a joke. Which I am. I've been playing
harmonica off and on over the years and have played amplified a
handful of times.
	Recently my friend passed away and his mom gave me his harmonica
gear. What I received was the following. 1 Green Bullet(3 years 	old
or so with modified xlr input jack), a Presonus Tubepre and 3 	crappy solid
state amps(non worth mentioning, his older brother 	got the tube amps,as
he should). I cannot afford a decent tube 	amp in the near future
unfortunatly. I have been slowly absorbing 	different harp content on
the web and feel like I know more than
	the average campfire player.

	My question.... Does anyone have experience/advice with the
bullet, tubepre and a 8" or 10" solid state combo. I know, it's 	not
what I should have but its what I got and what im working 	with for the
time being. Also if anyone wants to hit me with ANY 	general harp site
links, It would be welcome, even if i already 	have em. :)
 	Thanks guys. DD

I've tried a S/State preamp pedal about which I still ask advice, and only
yesterday changed back to using my old 12" speakers rather than newer 4 x
10" s. The s/s amp (self-built on a tight shoe string budget) put out max
120W+120W rms into two 12" bins. - Even added a steppable mismatch
transformer to make transistors "clip", it sounded like a chainsaw heard
through dense fog, good for some pieces, not others.
I used such a rig for many years and "got by", no-one in the audience or
band ever complained. I got the combo to work for me well, within its
limitations and my ability.

But the biggest breakthrough was inside the Green bullet: mine's a 20+ year
old 520 DX. (=Mexican ?) On its label it says "Dynamic" microphone, yet
inside was an Astatic 127 crystal cartridge, which is not dynamic in the
technical sense, but piezo-electric. It gave me  grief, (as I found it had a
dry joint when I stripped it out) and was scratchy, needing absolute cupping
to soften. I bought and fit the Shure R198 capsule spare -which is truly
dynamic, i.e electromagnetic- and the sound was instantly changed for the
better. (Do I hear the  sound of hammering keyboards across America?)
So, for economy, look at the Bullet first.
The Astatic crystal is now rehoused in a temporary casing, as spare. Details
to make one are to be found on Planet Harmonica, a French site.
Best Regards,  Geoff Atkins