RE: [Harp-L] Background (Rhythm) harmonica

Ken Hildebrand writes:
> I suggest getting Peter "Madcat" Ruth's DVD "The Ins and Outs of
> Rhythm Harp".  Madcat can do it all and plus alot more !
>
> Highly entertaining as well, especially the ending demonstration.

Um, well, ah...

I dig Madcat to the max - he's easily one of my favorite players and people!

But... Much as I have tried to duplicate his rythm harp technique as
described on his "Ins and Outs of Rhythm Harp video," I just cannot do it.
He uses a unique method to maximize the percussive nature of his rhythm harp
that is very foreign to my embouchure. In a nutshell, he describes his
manner of using what he calls "hup-pah's" in which he flips his lower lip
back and forth over the front of the harp. I just cannot do it no matter how
I try, and believe me I wish I could, cuz' as I say I idolize Madcat.

I wonder if anyone else who has tried to use Madcat's hup-pah's has achieved
any degree of success? I'd like to query them about what they did to make it
work.

I should emphasize that my comments regarding the Madcat rhythm harp method
should in no way deter anyone from purchasing his video. Even though I
wasn't able to come away using hup-pahs, I still learned much about rhythm
harp. Plus, that last 5 minutes is easily the most entertaining in
harmonicadom, and well worth the price of admission in it's own right.

Thanks for sharing, Pete.  8^)

Michelle