[Harp-L] Re: Madcat's mic

At most of my gigs these days I do not play thru an amplifier. I usually play thru a Shure SM-58 directly into the PA.

But whenever I do play thru an amplifier I ALWAYS use a Shaker/Madcat harp mic.

A Shaker/Madcat harp mic does indeed have a lower output than most harp mics. If you plug a Shaker/Madcat mic into an amp and use the same settings as a mic with higher output it will, of course, sound weaker.

But personally I view that as an advantage rather than a disadvantage. Because of it’s lower output it is much less likely to feed back.

There is a very easy fix to the low output: turn the volume control on the amp up a few notches. :-) Presto, problem solved ! ! !

If you listen to any of my recordings and hear the sound of a harp played thru an amp, you can be sure that I was using a Shaker/Madcat mic (or the harp mic I was using with the same specs before Shaker started building them).

I estimate that approximately .001% of harp players in the world use the Shaker/Madcat harp mic... Therefore it is safe to say it is one of the most UNPOPULAR harp mics in the world!

But for playing harp thru an amplifier, it is still my all-time favorite mic.

Peter Madcat Ruth madcat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx www.madcatmusic.net www.youtube.com/user/petermadcatruth