[Harp-L] Re: Super loud

I had an interesting experience in this regard at the Frankfurt Music Trade Fair a month or so ago. I was asked to play 2 short shows with a legendary 70s rock drummer who used to work with Jeff Beck and was previously in a group with a very sweet sounding name, and an explosively fast metal guitarist who must be very famous because his youtube videos have about 5 million hits. I rehearsed with them on the first night of the fair and the volume level was so high I had to leave after an hour because I was feeling physically ill. I did the first show and was barely able to hear a note I played, so I was immensely relieved to discover I'd been given the wrong time for the 2nd show and had a pressing prior engagement.

These guys are undoubtedly terrific musicians and much more famous than I'll ever be, but their approach had nothing whatsoever to do with mine and the volume level made musical communication as I understand it impossible. I guess it's all a state of mind, because they seemed to be enjoying themselves. It takes all sorts,

Steve
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com