[Harp-L] Super Loud bands

I played a gig a month ago, where the band was inside the tent and
intermittently about 200 revving Harleys outside.
Without exaggeration, there were pain threshold noise and music levels.

My ears were ringing several hours after the Festival was over, and I
decided to try wearing hard plastic resin ear inserts with drilled /tuned
fine holes. (They are known as "Clippers" in South Africa). I use them daily
in noisy environments , but they can cause ear inflammations at times.

Used when other bands are playing the plugs worked very well, but playing
solos with them in place accentuates the "in-head" sounds at the expense of
hearing the monitors. So I used them loosely inserted, which worked fine.

The benefit I believe is that the overall exposure time to dangerous noise
levels is reduced. In-ear monitors seem to be the way to go, but I'm
guessing the system would be quite expensive?

Best Regards

Geoff Atkins