Re: [Harp-L] Suzuki's Fabulus....Rant...

Jeff Roulier wrote:
>>Since you can't work on the reed gaps yourself, a good solution could be
>>to find a local friend who can set up your reeds as you like them while
>>you're there; that would save a lot of hassle and time.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Brendan Power
>
>Not to beat a dead horse, but I don't think the above skill should be
>necessary on a brand new $200.00+ harp.

I'm afraid that it is indeed necessary, for a few reasons already mentioned on this list:
1) Reed gaps define the range of attack dynamics for the reed--whether it plays with a hard attack, or a soft attack, or in between.
2) No particular setting will do it all for everyone.  Choices must be made.
3) Different players have different styles and needs, and so the optimum response for any given harp is defined by the player, not at the factory.
4) Therefore, to satisfy a particular player perfectly, the reeds must be gapped to fit the player's style, which--again--can't be done at the factory.

This is a limitation imposed by the very nature of a free-reed instrument.  It applies to every harmonica and every player, regardless of instrument price or player skill, and it will apply until the fundamental design of harmonicas is changed.  Complaining about reed gapping on an expensive harmonica is like saying that a $2000 guitar should be set up perfectly when it leaves the factory--no matter how the job is done, a particular player is likely to need to make additional adjustments to suit his or her style, such as setting the height of the strings.

It's more reasonable to complain about the durability of an expensive harmonica--how well it holds its tuning, for example. But I repeat that, as per Brendan's comments, every harmonica player who wants to play the most responsive instrument possible must gap his or her own reeds, or have someone else do it.

Now time for an apology.  I may have contributed to this latest round of harp-bashing by my comments on the Hohner MB Deluxe that I bought a couple of months ago.  I shouldn't have complained so quickly about that instrument.  The factory made good on their guarantee, and the replacement is one of the best-playing off-the-shelf harmonicas I have ever owned, and apparently pretty durable too. As manufacturers put their new high-end models up for sale, we're all kind of suspicious about whether the quality is in line with the newly enhanced prices.  My general take is that the new instruments are in fact better instruments.  I for one promise to stop reaching for the keyboard to fire off an angrygram to Harp-L every time I have a problem.

Regards, Richard Hunter
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter