[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 69, Issue 71

That's my experience, too, Ruperto and of course, you've done more than I have. That's why I use the shim, I've never really been too aggressive with the reed massaging and I feel more comfortable with the shim. I have also noticed that where a brass reed might take the desired position after an adjustment and plink, the steel reed takes a couple more times with the process.

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:42:11 -0400
From: Rupert Oysler <orupert@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I basically deal with the stainless reeds in the same manner as brass,
but they do require a little "more" of whatever it takes. So, in gapping
I tend to move the reed a little more, plink a little more, and do the
whole process a little more. It is really essential to plink reeds after
gapping (any kind of reeds, but especially the stainless steel-- but all
reeds have a memory effect...), and with 3-5 good plinks, the reed will
settle back toward it's starting position. So then gap again, plink
again, etc. Eventually the reed will stay here you want it after
plinking. Then if tuning is required I would preferably wait 24 hours to
tune.

Hope this helps,

Rupert Oysler
www.seydelusa.com