[Harp-L] Review of "Turbocharge Your Harmonica Vol 1", by Richard Sleigh

This week I got a copy of Richard Sleigh's book "Turbocharge Your Harmonica Volume 1". I've long been a harmonica tinkerer, and have experimented with various tunings. However my frontline diatonics are custom ones, I don't touch the insides. Best left to those who really know their business.

People like Richard Sleigh.

The full title of Richard's book is "Turbocharge Your Harmonica Volume 1: Straighten Up and Tune Right! Basic Tuning and Tweaking for the Intelligently Lazy Musician". The title sums up the book, which explains how to curve and gap reeds, and how to tune them. Richard makes special tools for these tasks, the book recommends them. I have his tools, they work.

The book won't put harmonica customisers out of business. Instead it shows how people like me (and you) can get the best from off the shelf instruments with minimum fuss. In particular I liked Richard's explanation of Just Intonation and Equal Temperament, complete with a handy chart for achieving both. Until now I never really understood these concepts. Clearly I was waiting for Richard's explanation. I'm now motivated to pull out some old instruments and apply Richard's techniques. In particular I'll tune an instrument to Just Intonation, to get the idea for once and for all.

Anyone who owns a set of harmonicas, and can tell the difference between rull of the mill and good instruments (all of us, right?) should own a copy of Richard's book, as well as his toolkit. Both are available from http://customharmonicas.com/r-sleigh

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays