Re: [Harp-L] interesting stuff out there (backing a Singer)

Backing up a Singer is an art form in itself and probably one of THE most difficult aspects in the big sphere of musical performance.

In NON musical terms the best way I can explain it, is a quote Tommy Morgan told me over the phone a few weeks ago.

We were chatting about backing up Singers and Bands etc. Tommy said that when he was asked how he lasted SO LONG in this Business, his answer was simple......"I never forgot WHO's record it was that I was playing on." To me THAT says it all.

You HAVE to listen to the Singer, you HAVE to follow the Singer, if you REALLY listen, they will actually send you signals on what and when to play behind them. Like Chris did on that Sting song...not only was he getting inside the moment but he was getting direction from the Singer at the same time. BTW, really nice Job Chris! You really have to work on the 'weaving' of dynamics with musical statements that will breathe and sync up with the Singer at the same time leaving that HOLY area called SPACE.

Another short story, I was chatting with a Music Director friend who has go on to TV and other Conducting and Musical Director gigs....one night many years ago on Broadway he was leading a rockin' lil' band in the orchestra pit. Well I guess they were starting to 'groove' a bit too hard and started playing for themselves in the heat of the moment....

at the end of the act....The Stage Director walked over to the pit and was very angry! "He said I already told you guys about this and your NOT hearing what I'm saying...." The guys responded, man, what are you talkin about we were playing great down here!!!

The Director retorts, "That's just what I mean!!!! It ain't about'ch Y'ALL !!!"

Obviously the Singers and the action on Stage was WHAT it was about and you just have to know HOW to play each gig and WHO hired you,-)

Welcome to the Music BUZNESS folks,-)

all the best,
Rob Paparozzi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael D'Aurizio " <mdaurizio@xxxxxxxx>