Re: [Harp-L] Deliberate Practice

Great!  I just read it, I agree with almost the whole thing and it
seems to closely mirror how I practice.  I do however think that there
is a concept I disagree with.  Perhaps I am reading it wrong but to
paraphraseColvin says,"You don't need talent, but you do need
intellect and an ability to work very hard."  Aren't these two things
genetic? At least intellect is.  I suppose a willingness to work hard
can be taught, but even with the will, doesn't the ability to work
hard come with genetics? Aren't they therefore elements of talent?

I also believe that if, for example, Kim Wilson and myself started out
as beginning harp players at the same moment and put in the same
amount of work and use of deliberate practice techniques, Kim would
still sound better than I ever could.   However, I believe that
someone without what many think of as talent, i.e. the ability to
quickly move forward on an instrument without much education or
practice, can learn to become a very advanced player if he applies
Colvin's deliberate practice techniques.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com